Supplies Needed for 4th Grade
· 6 marbleized composition books
· 6 pocket folders – Social Studies, Science, Spelling, Work folder, Take-home folder, and Religion
· 1 package of #2 pencils (sharpened)
· markers, crayons, and or colored pencils
· a red pen for correcting
· a pair of scissors - kids school scissors please
· glue sticks
· a highlighter (any color)
a black fine point black Sharpie
· a soft case to hold supplies
For the classroom
· 2 boxes of tissues
· a set of multiplication cards to be kept at home and practiced
Required Summer Reading
Ruth and the Green Book by Calvin Alexander Ramsey
What was the Great Depression? by Janet Pascal
A wish list of consumables that we could use for our language arts and science programs include:
- Post-It flags for marking text support
- assorted colored cardstock for vocabulary words
- scrapbooking supplies/papers for publishing theme writing assignments
- classical music CDs to listen to during process writing
- silver stars
- baby wipes
Grade 4 September 2016
Welcome back and welcome to our new student –Kanchan! Fourth grade is off to a great start. All the children are enthusiastic and eager to tackle the year. I am looking forward to a very productive year. Our class motto is “ALWAYS DO YOUR BEST.” I will encourage them to put forth their best efforts in everything they do.
Here are a few things you should know about grade 4.
There is no morning recess in 4th grade, however, I do give the children a 10-15 minute snack break to stretch, walk around, socialize and use the bathroom. Please pack a nutritious snack for their mid-morning break.
· We have lunch recess at 11:15 and lunch at 11:35. Gym class is on Tuesday, music is on Wednesday, library and art are on Thursday.
· Thank you for taking the time to fill out the survey that will help me get to know your child and for covering all their hardcover books.
· We will study all the regions of the United States beginning with the Southwest. Study skills are incorporated into all content areas all year.
· All children are expected to have a grade level appropriate chapter book in their desks at all times for independent reading. They are welcome to use my classroom library books.
· I am also looking forward to an exciting year of discovering and exploration this year in science. We will start the year with a solar system unit.
· I would like to encourage anyone who could enhance our curriculum to feel free to share their expertise, experience/knowledge with the class.
· I feel that good communication between parent and teacher will enhance your child’s experience at school. I will do my best to communicate both positive and negative feedback as I feel appropriate, and I hope you will do the same.
· Fourth graders have school planners. They should be going home every night. Homework is also posted online. Please check their assignments with them. There is a place for parent/teacher communication at the bottom of each page (comments). Please contact me to address any questions or concerns that might arise. You can contact me via your child’s planner, a note, by leaving a message at school, or e-mail. I always try to return calls and emails the same day. I welcome your input.
I look forward to meeting everyone on Curriculum Night Thursday September 29th.